WDFY/MASS EFFECT IS A LEADERSHIP CLUB WHOSE PRIMARY PURPOSE IS TO PROMOTE DRUG AND ALCOHOL FREE LIVING. IT IS SPONSORED BY THE GREATER SPOKANE SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNCIL (GSSAC) and Spokane County Substance Abuse and Prevention (CSAP).
BENEFITS OF JOINING
- WDFY members receive discounts from 40+ businesses in the Spokane (and soon Medical Lake) area.
- WDFY members can participate in fun activities and meetings.
- They can use a WDFY project for their Senior Culminating project theme.
- There is a scholarship opportunity available for WDFY members.
- It is very helpful in gaining employment and applying to colleges and technical schools.
HOW DO I JOIN?
Visit the Counseling Center to pick up the form, or download it from this website. Fill it out and have both parent and student sign it and return it to the Counseling Center. You will be put on the list to give a urine sample on the soonest testing date (see above). After you have passed one drug test, you will be given a WDFY card that will entitle you to discounts at participating businesses.
Greater Spokane Substance Abuse Council's (GSSAC)
8104 East Sprague, Spokane, WA 99212-0670
509-922-8383 Fax 509-922-7716www.gssac.org
It’s more than a tagline; it’s a statement that rings true across Spokane County.
Thousands of students in Middle School and High School make the choice to live drug and alcohol free. They’re mainstream. They’re members of WDFY.
WDFY, Washington Drug Free Youth, is a program designed to prevent substance abuse or help kids jump back on a healthier path. WDFY members commit to living clean and prove it through voluntary drug testing. PAML (Pathology Associates Medical Laboratories) takes care of the lab work for all the area schools.
The local business community offers discounts to honor and recognize the kids involved in WDFY.
WDFY is open to all students in grades 6-12 who have decided to “go with the flow” by choosing not to use. The kids come from a variety of backgrounds and interests but have one thing in common… they want to make good choices. Advisors are trained to work with the kids and offer support. With 23 chapters and over 2300 members, the teens really make a statement by joining this crowd.
The club gives a voice to those who aren’t using. The program invites parents and guardians, schools, and business owners to celebrate the students’ efforts. It offers support to past drug and alcohol users and helps them start over. WDFY demonstrates that staying clean is actually the social norm. It’s not only the right decision but the most popular choice.
There are several reasons to join:
- Healthy lifestyle
- Maintain your brain cells and relationships
- Entire support system and friends
- Use your membership card to receive discounts and deals at supporting businesses
- Participate in service projects and give back to the community
- Enjoy a variety of WDFY sponsored activities in and out of school
- Join the fight against substance abuse by saying “I choose… I choose WDFY”